Thursday 25 September 2014

Sydney Marathon (42.195km)


The marathon is the ultimate meptaphor for Life! The 42.195km distance is a true test of character. It makes you dig for every ounce of your being, physically, mentally and emotionally. Each kilometer is as unpredictable as each day of our lives. Just getting to the start line is a momentous feat. They say marathoners are a different species, but truth is anyone can conquer it - your only limit is the one you place on yourself! 

My preparation for the Sydney marathon gained purpose from my fundraising cause - TO TACKLE DIABETES! I did everything in my power to prepare my body for the distance, but there were a couple things that lingered on my mind race day. I had been forced into taper with illness and I severely lacked the necessary rest in the week leading into race day. But when it came to crunch time I decided it was all or nothing. If I had to crawl across the line, I would! There was extra anticipation for this race, my family had traveled from Gilgandra in the central west of NSW to cheer me over the line. My goal was 3:40.

Pre Race Ritual: Getting my gear sorted
 Running rule 101- Don't try anything new race day!
The start line was at Milsons Point in north Sydney so as an  eastern Sydney- sider it was an adventure just to get there. Car + Train + Walk. On the train over the harbour bridge we noticed the the half marathoners were on their way and we burst with excitement as we seen my friend Vlad in the lead pack - shout out to RUNLAB (Get on it) and a number of runners in our Sweat Sydney squad. It was time to get pumped....until I realised the start shute diverged straight up a hill. Anyway, in true form it began to rain, not that it bothered me as my training had acclimatise me for torrential conditions. But there was an extra chill in the air. So we came up with a plan to layer on as many of the clothes the half marathoners had left behind and soon we were marshaled like little lambs into the starting area. For this race runners were welcomed by Australian marathon royalty 'Deeks' whom we know personally as my partner Nat is a member of his initiative, the Indigenous Marathon Project.

As I got ready for the gun I positioned myself between the 3:45 and 3:30 pacers. I made a mental note to stay here at all costs. I soon found myself next to my Newy Parkrun comrade Kirby aka Marathon Barbie and her pink posse of Night Striders. Kirby proudly showed off her vintage cardigan she looted from the half marathoners, meanwhile I had already discarded my grandpa trackies. Soon we were our way.




As we looped up and out of Milsons Point the course went straight over the Sydney harbour bridge. What an epic start to a run! Here the excitement and nerves kicked in, I wasn't sure if I should stay with Kirby as she was pacing a friend for 3:40 or run to feel. I decided to kick- on and see where my body would take me. I knew the course was going to be brutal, hills, twists and turns but I chose to see what I could handle. I can easily run 25km, so depending on how I was feeling at that point I figured I'd know then what I had left in the tank to finished.

As we popped up out of a tunnel the course looped along the Cahill Expressway, to the left you could see the finish shute at the Opera House. Only about 38km to go... Heading into the domain there was a man with a sign that read "worst parade ever"! I remember thinking to myself... what parade? then I got it! Ha. I knew the run out of the domain provided a steady incline and he was making it look easy. As I left the domain, the guy with the sign revealed the alternate side that read "remember you paid for this." Thanks for the reminder...

10km
Along Oxford St it felt like I was constantly running uphill and I was beginning to get a bit over it. It was nothing drastic but I thought ok Sydney, I know you're not flat - I'd run plenty of hills in my training but please be kind? Soon the course would enter Centennial Park and I looked forward to it because thats my stomping ground. I know this place inside out.  At 15km near the SCG I was running smoothly, than *boom* my right calf began to niggle. I NEVER get calf issues? This is not the time to pretend you actually exist.

I regathered my focus on course into the park. There was lots of support during this part of the race. "Go TEELA!", so I raised my hand holding a gel to acknowledge the encouragement. There were a couple of friends who cheered us on along this section, when I got to 22km I noticed one was Rona. The weekend prior I came second to her in a 5km Parkrun with a PB of 19.51. I knew I had the speed in me but could feel fatigue setting in already. Not far up was Browny who is a triathlon friend and he was everywhere on course riding his Giant bike on supporter duties for his partner Sally. I also noticed Kirby was only about 40s behind me and each time the course did a  180' she exerted enthusiasm "looking strong Teela- Keep Going!" She is that rare kind of human that wants everyone to reach their goals no matter what!

Heading back along Anzac parade at 28km my body was feeling the impact of the road, my right calf was on fire and I began to doubt the worth of all my long trails runs during preparation despite the distance I had banked. Did I really prepare myself for this? I had to mentally check- in and remind myself why I was doing this. You want to make a difference, people have sponsored your diabetes fundraising you cant back out now. Your family is waiting at the finish line. Well..(that little voice in my head tries to reason) they didn't say it needed to be completed in 3:40! My physical self suddenly screams - I don't know if I can make it to the finish line! This is non- negotiable I demanded!!

Soon I reached the temporary overpass in the centre of Hyde Park. How dare you make me run up this stupid thing. Who built this anyway? Its unstable. If I roll an ankle I am going to unleash my (lack of) lawyering skills and sue. I soon realised Kirby had passed me....someone then screamed "GOOOOO TEEELA!" (I still don't know who that was).  There was some relief down to Circular Quay and the crowd began to burst with energy. 

The run towards Pyrmont was absolutely soul crushing. There was a 4km incline and mother nature made her mark with a gushing headwind. You could sense competitors were digging for anything that was left. Some stopped to walk - not me. Do....Not.... Stop! No matter how slow you go, just push through. Get to the Pyrmont turnaround and it should be a steady dissent back to the Opera House. At the turnaround I realised I didn't drop off much from Kirby -  she had about 40s on me.

Trying to hold it together

At 40km I made it to the base of the Sydney harbour bridge where I caught Kirby and she decided to get out her phone and take some selfies. This girl is the real wonder woman I tell ya. Enjoy whats left of this race I thought. Its the pinnacle of all your hardwork.. Run. Peace. SMILE!

40km

It was beginning to warm up so I was relieved the finish line was in sight, the shute was insane and it lasted a good 1km. The first person I noticed was my friend Nina, she was yelling at the top of her lungs! Then two of my aunties burst with pride and could barely yell my name through their excitement ... I noticed they tried unsuccessfully to scramble for their phones or cameras, anything in site that could capture the moment. 400m along next to the finish line was another aunty, my sister, my niece and nephew and two of my cousins! The race director forced the crowd to give me three cheers and it was total relief. I cant help but feel a little disappointed I missed my 3:40 goal by 17 seconds. Its nothing a bucket list Berlin marathon cant fix!  

To all of my sponsors - THANK YOU! You exceeded my target by donating $2741 and raised awareness of diabetes in Australia's Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. Together we can make a difference! As a result of this journey I have accepted the offer from NSW Diabetes to be an official ambassador and I look forward to fighting for this cause in the future.

Teela

My first and LAST Sydney marathon medal!

My cousins Maddison and I recovering at Clovelly

No comments:

Post a Comment